Now I just need to figure out how to start it on reboot, but that is something I've been meaning to learn, anyway, so I don't mind.

I hope you guys will bear with me just a little more... I have spent the day trying to figure out how to create an rc script for autossh. Very cool, and not as hard as I'd anticipated. It is attached below.

The script works perfectly *iff* I run it from the command line as a non-root user, like so:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/autossh start

However, it does NOT work when executed by root. Instead, I get the following error message in /var/log/messages

messages:Oct 21 19:01:38 on autossh[89267]: ssh exited prematurely with status 255; autossh exiting

So (my understanding), autossh is starting, and tries to create the tunnel, but the tunnel creation fails with the unhelpful 255 error message.

But only when executed by root. That's the puzzling part.

I don't allow root logins on this server, but don't see how that could cause this problem....

I'm stumped. Any hints, much appreciated.

-- John

----------------------

#!/bin/sh
# PROVIDE: autossh
# REQUIRE: LOGIN
# KEYWORD: shutdown

. /etc/rc.subr

name="autossh"
rcvar=`set_rcvar`
start_cmd="${name}_start"
stop_cmd=":"

load_rc_config $name
eval "${rcvar}=\${${rcvar}:='NO'}"

command="/usr/local/bin/autossh"
command_args="-M 20000 -fNg -L 33006:127.0.0.1:3306 [EMAIL PROTECTED]"
#pidfile="/var/run/autossh.pid"
#AUTOSSH_PIDFILE="$pidfile"; export AUTOSSH_PIDFILE

autossh_start()
{
  ${command} ${command_args}
  echo "started autossh"