On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 12:34:42AM +0100, LennyCZ wrote:
> Hello!
>
>      I would like to try FreeBSD on my machine, but I did not find any
> information regarding the ISO files on FreeBSD FTP sites.
>
>      For example, in ISO directory for 7.0 release, I found these files:
>
> 7.0-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso
> 7.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
> 7.0-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso
> 7.0-RELEASE-i386-disc3.iso
> 7.0-RELEASE-i386-docs.iso
> 7.0-RELEASE-i386-livefs.iso
>
>      Please could you tell me which files I exactly need to download & burn
> to install a "normal" FreeBSD installation? Do I need all three *-disc[n]
> discs? If so, is there a DVD version available?

You only need one:

7.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

If you plan on installing many binary packages (from the installer,
not once FreeBSD is installed), then you might also want "disc2".

More importantly, I *strongly* recommend you download the 7.1-BETA2
ISO(s) instead.  You'll find them in the releases/ directory on the FTP
mirrors.

>      Maybe I am wrong, but I feel it shouldn't be necessary to waste 3 CDs
>    from installation if I have a high-speed permanent Internet connection.

You should try sending this note to most of the Linux distributions,
many of which *require* a DVD drive (what makes you think everyone
has one?), or require you to download 2 or 3 CDs.