On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 23:56:09 -0500
"Mauricio L__pez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My question is: what would you recommend to someone who wants to have
> the software available offline and perhaps update it monthly? Can I
> download and burn in DVDs the entire ports and package collection?

I think there is, or was, a unofficial DVD produced by one of the
companies that sells open-source disks, I don't know much about it.

I'd recommend you forget about upgrading monthly and just stick to
releases - the CD's contain a number of useful packages and the
snapshot of the ports tree used to build them. Building from ports is
going to be awkward, because it requires source tarballs to be
under the distfiles directory. They are normally fetched automatically
but you'll have to get them manually if you you are offline. Don't try
to update the tree between releases.

You don't need all that much bandwidth to use the ports system though,
I used to maintain a full KDE3 desktop on dial-up.