spam as possible.  That sort of service that is so good and so
transparent that it is _very_ easy to forget how useful and thankless
it is.

very true! i've been surprised at the low spam ratio here for sure!
we all owe a debt of gratitude to this postmaster.

every time i get worried seeing a spam on FreeBSD mailing list, i quickly think about how many spams DOES NOT get here :)

We seem to be doing quite fine without moderation so far.

that's pretty cool and certainly says something about the quality of
people on this list. the abrasive stuff is minimal as compared to other
lists i've been on too.

the truth that other lists (like other unices, linux) are worse (yes, they are) doesn't mean that this list can't be improved.