On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Manish Jain <invalid.poin...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After weeks of fumbling and struggling, I have made my full transition from
> Linux to FreeBSD, thanks in no mean measures to the assistance of this
> forum. I've got my FreeBSD 7.1 x86 system set up exactly as I wanted it and
> now I am looking to move one step further - and that is one big step. I wish
> to get rid of my Windows installation too, which exists purely for the
> purpose of multimedia entertainment - one area where I think GNU-based
> systems still have some way to go before they catch up with Win32
> applications.
>
> However, I am willing to give it a try. I already have xmms set up, which
> takes care of the audio part reasonably well. The big hole that remains is a
> video application. What I looking for is something on these lines :
>
> 1) I hardly ever play movies directly from the CD/DVD drive (/dev/dvd ->
> /dev/acd0, courtesy devfs.conf). First I copy them to the hard-disk (after
> decrypting any DVD's if needed). So I ideally want an application that can
> play .dat and unencrypted .vob files directly from a hard disk ntfs
> partition without incessently complaining about missing plugins. (If
> necessary, I can reformat the ntfs partition as ffs). Actually, to be more
> accurate, I don't even have any .vob files. What I have is unencrypted .iso
> images of the DVD's, which I guess I will need to mount via mdconfig. But if
> the application strictly needs .vob files, I'll extract them from the iso
> images for its benefit.
>
> 2) Since my DVD drive is capable of reading DVD's from all regions, it
> would be great if the application could also, if needed, directly play
> encrypted DVD's from the drive itself. I have libdvdnav, libdvdread,
> libdvdcss and libdvdplay installed.
>
> 3) The final point to be considered is the quality of the video/audio
> playback compared to, say, PowerDVD on Windows - which I have used (version
> 2.55) with absolute delight and satisfaction since I purchased my first DVD.
>
> Any tips/input would be greatly appreciated. To keep the discussion simple,
> HD/Blu-Ray are not in my plans for the current century.

Have you tried the ports multimedia/mplayer or multimedia/vlc? I can't live
without mplayer on my desktop and it usually "just works" on everything i
try to play.
If you want a fancy GUI, search in ports/multimedia for mplayer and you will
find kde-mplayer, gnome-mplayer and friends.
Video playback and tv-out is one big reason why I dont use windows on my
desktop.