Manolis Kiagias wrote:
Chris Whitehouse wrote:
Hi guys,

When you have a minute please would you have a look at a proposal for
changes to the packages system I posted which is kind of a ports
equivalent of freebsd-update involving a 'ports-snapshot'.

The original post is here

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2009-April/195793.html.

A more detailed description is here

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2009-April/196223.html

And other peoples comments in between.

It's going a bit parallel to the discussion here and in fact you have
already offered some of the requirements,ie hosting

Would you be interested in incorporating the idea into what you are
doing? I could at least do some building of packages.

One of the requirements is a new package management tool which I've
called ports-update. Does anyone here have C or scripting skills who
would be interested to write it? I'm sorry to ask, I know the FreeBSD
way is to do it yourself, but I don't have programming skills. I could
probably knock up a framework to start from though.

If you are prepared to host a bunch of packages it would be
interesting to ask people to give us a list of their installed
packages to create a master list.

Thanks

Chris

I am following this discussion too.
I was actually thinking of some less drastic method to make a FreeBSD
desktop easier to build and less time consuming.
Currently there are at least two projects based on FreeBSD that offer
reasonable BSD desktops without lots of manual setup: DesktopBSD and
PC-BSD (PC-BSD actually had a version release yesterday).  The problem
is both projects focus on KDE. I would like to have a choice between
XFCE, Gnome and possibly some light WMs i.e. fluxbox.

My motivation also, plus energy considerations. I was rolling my own
using icewm but have recently been using PCBSD. I like PCBSD very much but I would go back to my previous setup with this project.

I like to build my own packages, and have put together a spare machine

Are you using the tinderbox port or do you build in the machines own environment?

just for this purpose. It is no speed daemon (P4 2.5Ghz, 2G DDR2 RAM)
but it is stable and always available. What I intend to do - and I am
close to this - is start building package CDs (or DVDs) that people can
download and use in the following way:

Would each CD contain all the available packages or do you have some idea to only distribute changed packages?

- Perform a base install of FreeBSD with *no* additional packages
(except maybe the linux binary compatibility)
- Insert the CD/DVD and run a dialog(1) based sh script with options to:
    - Install packages
    - Configure X and DE / WM
    - Configure shell (i.e. startup files etc)
    - Configure sound card
    (and more)

All these packages would be build from the same ports tree so they would
be in sync. There should be regular (bimonthly?) updates to the CD
itself.  Everyone building a new system can use the latest CD, and
anyone who installed a system using a previous version could use the
same CD with portupgrade -PP (after setting PKG_PATH, PKG_FETCH etc).
This can actually be one of the menu options.

Taking this one step further (using your ideas), I could also distribute
the ports tree (and probably /var/db/ports assuming the ports do not use
default options) along with the packages, so anyone wishing to compile
more stuff could use this same tree knowing it will be in sync.

This achieves pretty much exactly what I was hoping for! Fantastic. I had assumed default
configs though because I imagine the ports people have reasons for
choosing them.

I intend to build a prototype of this soon. It will contain XFCE,
firefox, thunderbird, vlc, bash, openoffice, Xorg and few more
packages.  If it generates enough interest in the community, we will
then decide the final set of packages etc for the regular releases.

Exactly. gnome and kde?

Glen, I was replying to your post when Manolis's came but this has the answers.

Chris