On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 15:04:45 -0700, Drew Tomlinson <d...@mykitchentable.net>
wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:
> > On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 12:05:13 -0700, Drew Tomlinson
> > <d...@mykitchentable.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Next I used bsdlabel
> >> and created 500M a: partitions on two of the drives (ad6 & ad8).
> >>
> >                     ^
> > There is no colon after the partition letter. The colon
> > is used to refer (or change) to the 1st DOS diskette drive. :-)
> >

> I'm not sure what you mean here.  I showed it as "a:" as that's how
> bsdlabel reports it when displaying the label 'bsdlabel ad6' for example.

Of course you're correct: bsdlabel shows "a:". In terminology, when
refering to a partition, it's usually said "partition a" or "partition
ad6s1a" instead of "partition a:". The convention "a:" - "drive letters" -
is very common in DOS, as well as in other "modern" MICROS~1 products.
In fact, I was just joking, as when people are asking questions
about a "/home folder" or "hard discs". Terminology. :-)

> I think this was part of my problem.  For example, I did 'bsdlabel ad6'
> instead of 'bsdlabel ad6s1'.  Now I have entries such as /dev/ad6s1a and
> /dev/ad8s1a after using 'bsdlabel -e <dev>'.

As Wojciech mentioned, the *need* to have a slice on a disk is
mostly not there when you're using BSD only - there's no problem
if you don't have a slice, but just one partition covering the
whole disk. Then you just operate on this partition.

You can even newfs the whole disk without making a partition.
In this case, the c partition - "the whole disk" - is used,
and you can omit the c. If you newfs ad6, you end up with a
formatted ad6 partition ad6c, which is equivalent to ad6.
But that's going off-topic.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany