Thank you all for the wonderful help.  I've recovered the file and the
system is fully operational.  The solution that worked was:

Single User Mode
/rescue/sh
/rescue/mount /
/rescue/mount /tmp
/rescue/mv /tmp/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 /libexec

As I spent my entire youth on Windows, I can honestly say this is the first
time this type scenario didn't end in reformatting.  FreeBSD is rockin'

Stew