On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Gary Kline wrote:

        Whenever I save a wordpeocessoe file [OOo, say] into a
        text file, I get a slew of hex codes to indicate the char to be
        used.  I'm looking for a perl one-liner or script to translate
        hex back into ', ", -- [that's a dash), and so forth.  Why does
        this fail to trans the hex code to an apostrophe?

        perl -pi.bak -e 's/\xe2\x80\x99/'/g'

You're kidding, aren't you?  The apostrophe is the same as the single quote,
so double quote the execute line.  Also, of course, you haven't specified
which file(s) to operate on.  And finally, there are tons of perl forums,
mailing lists, and newsgroups.  Pick one to ask perl questions.

        perl -pi.bak -e "s/\xe2\x80\x99/'/g" OOo

        If there any another other tools, I'm interested!

check out sed and tr.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html