On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:33:43 -0700, Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> maybe this can't be done reading in a file with fgets(buffer[128], fp),
> then calling skiptags(), conditionally, to while () past ',' and '>'.
>
> I know I need to calll skipTags with its address, skipTags(&buffer);,
> but then how to i
> handle the variable "s" in skipTags?  Anybody?

It's quite complicated. Soes it need to be? :-)

> // redo, skip TAGS

Is this C or C++ source code? I always thought // was C++
specific...

> skipTags((char *)&s)

Where's my return datatype? And when (int) is the default,
where is my return statement? :-)

> {
>         if (*s == '<')
>         {
>                 while (*s != '>')
>                 {
>                         s++;
>                 }
>                 s++;
>         }
> }

If you need type conversion, you can't do this in the
function's declaration. You need to perform this with
the call. The function would rather start as

        void skipTags(char *s)

and then be called with the correct pointer

        char *bla;
        skipTags(bla);

Instead of pointer arithmethics, which is one of the
ultimate skills in C, you could use an iterator from 0
to strlen(s).

I think the code above is just part of a bigger mechanism.
Looks like you want to "shift" the character pointer to
override any <...> segments, and then let some other
parts do something more, right?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany