On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 05:43:44AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 22:23:43 -0500, David Kelly <dke...@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> > When not using a count to indicate how much data is in a char* you
> > should always test for null. Testing for null is not a sure fire way
> > to prevent buffer over runs but its better than nothing.
>
> There are means like
>
>       #include <assert.h>
>       assert(s);
>
> to make sure s is not NULL, or testing for it explicitely like
>
>       if(!s)
>               ... error handling here ...
>
> is possible. Furthermore, it is a proven way to give a length
> argument along with the (char *) argument, such as the "new"
> l-functions for strings, e. g. strlcat() and strlcpy(), do.
>
>       char *skiptags(char *s, int l);
>
> You can even double-check for l begin != 0. Or you employ a
> test with strlen() function-internally.

        right; i will add error checking once i've got things working.
        but i think i meant to say that i was calling by-reference, sing
        fgets was reading the file from a

        char buffer[256];

        or whatever.  so, given this, shouldn't i need to step past some N
bytes of
        "buffer[]?

        i'll experiement and see, again, but in my one compile that worked,
by-value,
        left in the <TAGS> </TAGS>

        gary

 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix