On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 09:03:22AM -0500, David Kelly wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 11:30:49PM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:
> >
> > Glen Barber writes:
> > >
> > >  "//" comments are recognized by both C and C++.
> >
> >     How about "... are recognized by both C++ and more recent versions
> > of C."?
>
> I think gcc++ and gcc use the same preprocessor? Comments are stripped
> in the preprocessor.
>
> The only thing we can really say is that gcc accepts // as a comment. Is
> becoming an accepted convention in other C's but I doubt one can
> universally state that its accepted in all "recent versions".

It is accepted in recent versions of C, but not necessarily by all C
compilers, depending on which version of C they support.  "//" comments were
added to C in the 1999 revision of the C standard, and was already then a
very common extension that was supported by many compilers.

If gcc supports "//" comments or not depends on which mode it is running in.
If you run it in strict C89 mode, then it will not support "//" comments,
but if you run it in C99 mode (or as a C++ compiler), it will support them.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson