usleepl...@gmail.com writes:

>  The talk/announcement on the Nvidia forum is about a native video
>  driver for amd64 i believe. A lot of people are waiting for this
>  ( currently there is only Nvidia support for i386 ).

        I do not believe this is correct.  _As I understand it_ there
are (currently) two options:

        1) "nv" driver; written by nVidia, but does not support
                recent (last N generations) cards, works only for i386,
                and does not support 100% of 3d functions.  Breakage
                fixed, but no new features added.
        2) "noveau" driver; written by third parties, works for i386
                and amd64 (maybe for others).  For what works, see the
                (hopefully outdated) web page.

        Under development:

        3) "????"; written (and maintained/improved) by nVidia, words
                for i386 and amd64, supports all cards, supports all
                functionality.  ETA not announced; no public testing yet.

        If anyone knows better, please correct this.

                                        Robert Huff