mikel king wrote:

On May 5, 2010, at 10:55 PM, Randi Harper wrote:

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
On Wed, 5 May 2010, Chris Whitehouse wrote:

I seem to have probs with mine too. I was under the impression that bsdstats was installed by default (in the base system?)

There has been talk about adding it as an option to sysinstall, but, unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge of sysinstall to add it, and nobody else has step'd forward that does ... the idea wasn't to auto-install/enable, but to make it more visible while you are installing ...

Anyone out there able to do this ... ?

I have not heard any talk about this up until this email. I wouldn't want to add an option to sysinstall for this unless bsdstats was part of base. If it were, this would be trivial, but I don't really want to pop up any optional package menus other than what already exists.

-- randi

This idea was mentioned a few years as a way to improve advocacy statistics. Something short and sweet, with a one or two line explanation encouraging people to install the BSDStats system. If it were a yes/no option similar to the "Would you like to install Linux Compatibility" then it would be a no brainer. Honestly this seems relatively unobtrusive and quite logical.
You're right, it is just for advocacy statistics. bsdstats is not an integral part of system operation. We prompt for Linux Compatibility because it could be needed for technical reasons. While advocacy is certainly important, the installer needs to be simplified, not complicated even more with unnecessary options and menus.

-- randi