On Friday, 21 March 2003 at  4:02:53 -0800, Aaron Burke wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 19 March 2003 at 22:06:45 -0500, Brian McCann wrote:
>>> Hi all.  I'd imagine this would be fairly simple since I got it to work
>>> from Xmanager for Windows...but I'm having difficulties.  I have 2
>>> boxes, both BSD (one FreeBSD, one OpenBSD).  The FreeBSD box has a full
>>> blown install of X with KDE and all kinds of stuff, the OpenBSD just has
>>> a basic X installed with xdm.  I'd like to be able to use the OpenBSD
>>> box as a display for the FreeBSD box.  I thought I'd just be able to ssh
>>> into the FreeBSD box and run xmms, xcalc, xterm, whatever I wanted...but
>>> no dice.  Can someone help me out?
>>
>> The most obvious way of doing this is to start an xterm on the FreeBSD
>> server:
>>
>>   xterm -display freebsd:0.0 &
>
> There is also an other way via xdm. But for this to work you need to
> uncomment the last line in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config.

This is dangerous advice.  It's possible for this file to change, and
the last line to become something different.  In the default file on
my system (4.1.0), it's not commented out.  You should describe
exactly what configuration change to make.

> You will also want to make sure your kernel contians the line
> "options         XSERVER"   (no quotes).

You don't need either of these to run xdm.

>> For this to work, you should:
>>
>> 1.  On the FreeBSD box, modify /usr/X11R6/bin/startx.  Change the line
>>
>>       listen_tcp="-nolisten tcp"

>>       listen_tcp=""
>
> Not sure that this is needed, I have never changed it. However
> I share x-windows using XDM.

If you start X from startx, and you want to connect from another
machine, this is absolutely necessary.  The default changed a couple
of years ago, and it caused a lot of pain.

>> 2.  Also on the FreeBSD box, run xhost:
>>
>>     xhost openbsd
>
> Guessing that xhost is kind of like the configurations of an
> X server.

Don't guess, check.  There's a man page:

NAME
       xhost - server access control program for X

It's nothing like configuring an X server.

>> This applies to any other X application as well, of course.
>
> If you enable xdm (X Display Manager) X-Windows will become
> an X-Server for every computer on your network.

Well, no, it remains a display manager.  And who can access it depends
on how you set up your access control in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess.  By default, only the local system can
access the display manager.  That's as it should be.

> Other people know of some ways to limit this functionallity by
> modify which hosts your machine will listen on.

You edit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess.

Running xdm still seems to be the less popular way to run X.  I
personally haven't seen any need for it.

Greg