On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:29:38PM -0500, Jorge Biquez wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> In all these years I have been working with FreeBSd under
> terminal/shell mode. Since all my needs to solve have been solved
> that way I have never tried any graphical interface.
>
> I was wondering if you can tell suggest me based on yoru experience
> on what path to follow? KDE? any other?
>
> I would like to test what you suggest is the best for you and if
> possible that it is not TOO complicated to setup. The idea is to use
> it as my desktop plattfor (documents, browser, email, etc)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jorge Biquez

I remember years ago that I first started using Linux in just the
console and did so for about 6 months before I set up X. It was such a
pleasure to get away from a GUI and to a CLI :)

When I did set up X, I used fvwm as my WM for many years, then
Blackbox and now Fluxbox.

I like the *boxes and fvwm as they have simple text based
configuration files and are easy to customise to one's own needs.

I still just have a couple of xterms running under fluxbox and tend to
launch a lot of programs from them.

You might find a simple setup, as I've described above, comfortable
for your needs rather than a full-blown desktop environment such as
Gnome or KDE.

My belief is that people who are comfortable with Gnome/KDE are people
who are familiar with working in a GUI such as Windows® and haven't
come from the commandline.

Regards,

--

 Frank