On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 02:53:30PM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Matthias Apitz wrote:
>
> >El d?a Sunday, October 17, 2010 a las 12:17:16PM -0600, Warren Block
> >escribi?:

> >>Of course.  The Acer Aspire models vary, but the D250 is nice.
> >
> >Just to make sure: you mean the "Acer Aspire One D250" netbook? But this
> >seems to have a SATA hard disk, or are there models out with SSD?
>
> Mine has a SATA drive, but there shouldn't be any reason it couldn't
> use a SATA SSD in that form factor.  I should add that just over the
> last couple of days, my D250 has started to panic at random times.
> That's new, and I don't know what's causing it.  Given that it was a
> scrap machine I repaired, it may be hardware failure.
>
> >In any case, it sells for around 300 euro (around USD 380) and seems to
> >be an alternative as getting my Eee PC 900 repaired for the same price
>
> Now that the netbook craze is over, there are quite a few
> lightly-used ones for sale, often around $150 here.  Look around
> before buying new. Relatively older models like the D250 may be
> better for FreeBSD, because they have Intel video that works with
> the accelerated xorg driver.

        $150 is seriously in my price range [!]  But what about the
        optical drive?  If I can buy one on sale and install FBSD from a
        CD or DVD, do all optivcal drive fit all notebooks?

        (( I remember seeing ads on amazon.com saying that "people who
        purchased this notebook have also bought:)

        With a few things that I probably will buy.  An optical, a 16 or
        32G SSD ... &c.)  So if there is a fire-sale at Costco or
        <<wherever>> for an HP 9" or 10  Atom notebook, will I be able
        to use another vendor's optical drive?

        gary

        PS:  I really _was_ current on hardware stuff.  Back in the VAX
        780 days :-)

 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 7.90a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
                           http://journey.thought.org