Quoth Chad Perrin on Friday, 04 March 2011:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 07:27:44AM -0800, Chip Camden wrote:
> >
> > I have not had a lot of luck with upgrading from within the admin panel,
> > but it is still easy to upgrade by downloading the latest tarball and
> > simply extracting it over the installation.  Then go into the admin panel
> > to see if it requires that you press a button to update the database.
> > Done!
> >
> > Of course, make a backup first.
>
> . . . and Heaven help you if you had to make any nontrivial changes to
> your local install of WordPress to make up for some of its many
> deficiencies, and don't have a detailed record of exactly what changes
> you made, since I know of no upgrade methodology for WordPress that don't
> destroy such changes in a way that makes it effectively impossible to
> just apply a patch to reintroduce them.  WordPress developers apparently
> like to substantially change the way things look in all the core files
> (thus breaking patches made from earlier versions) without substantively
> changing the way things work or the readability of the code.
>
> --
> Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]

Yes, I've been bitten by that.  Nowadays I confine all of my
customizations to plugins or theme files, os I can always drop in their
latest version and then check to see if they broke the plugins somehow
(which has happened on occasion).

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden | sterl...@camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://chipsquips.com  | http://camdensoftware.com   | http://chipstips.com