On 2-4-2011 2:51, Polytropon wrote:
So there is still stuff one needs to compile, and
YOU are in charge to define the options you need.
This is the "downside" when you're running a multi-
purpose OS like FreeBSD.

That is a good thing. But I remember an issue that I never understood. I onced set up a system as a mail and webserver and used packages for this. Fast and easy I thought and good enough. But although lamp/famp/samp is very common I could not install apache WITH php support. Why? Because php has no support for apache compiled in the precompiled package (it might have been the other way around; not quite sure). Anyway, apache+php could not be installed from packages. I had to compile them from ports. I hated that and could not understand why a so common setting is not on by default.