On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 08:07:25PM -0700, Chris Telting wrote:

> >     seriously, this is why i want that debian+freebsd that was
> >     discussed recently.  the kernel is ours and number one in the
> >     world.  and the ports stuff is basically packages that more/less
> >     just-work.  you can get the src =with= the pkg.
> >

> How does debian get around all the "make config" options that we
> deal with?  Such as does such and such package pull in samba...  Or
> does debian just compile with every option more or less enabled?
>
> Chris

        not sure about setting the options for a particular port, but i
        think you can build it with various flags set when you pull down
        the src.  at any rate, since most drives are HUGE these days,
        enabling all/most options doesn't eat up that great a percent of
        the disk.  and yeah, that's just my guess.

        note that i've been using freebsd since '95 and linux since '05.

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org