On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 05:07:54PM -0700, per...@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Chris Rees <utis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2 April 2011 00:58, Chris Telting <christopher...@telting.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > One of my biggest gripes with the ports system is dependency hell.
> >
> > I think you've misunderstood the term dependency hell [1]. Anyone
> > who has spent hours struggling with rpm ... would never dare to
> > even think of such terms when using the Ports Collection.
>
> Dependency purgatory?

I'd say it's something more like "dependency real-world".  Purgatory
would be Ubuntu, where installing something with Synaptic doesn't require
you to track all the (recursive) dependencies yourself, but uninstalling
Evolution can break the whole system because of the insanely inclusive
dependency policies for packages.