On 2/4/2013 8:34 PM, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:

I really think a message needs to go out on the announce list (as well
as ports@ and questions@, others as appropriate) about the fact there is
no official pkg repo at the moment. I'm constantly seeing emails about
this on this list.

I changed to pkgng a couple weeks ago before realizing the "Security Incident" was holding up binary ports. I used to install from source most of the time, and updates seemed to be required to be from source. But now it's just from source or nothing. I want pkgng to help deal with some of the cruft that ends up occurring when installing ports that have a lot of dependencies.

What's really annoying to me is that a clean install cluster, so presumably secure, could probably rebuild the whole ports tree in the time it's taken to get something available.