On 02/04/13 20:55, Joshua Isom wrote:
On 2/4/2013 8:34 PM, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:

I really think a message needs to go out on the announce list (as well
as ports@ and questions@, others as appropriate) about the fact there is
no official pkg repo at the moment. I'm constantly seeing emails about
this on this list.

I changed to pkgng a couple weeks ago before realizing the "Security
Incident" was holding up binary ports.  I used to install from source
most of the time, and updates seemed to be required to be from source.
But now it's just from source or nothing.  I want pkgng to help deal
with some of the cruft that ends up occurring when installing ports that
have a lot of dependencies.

What's really annoying to me is that a clean install cluster, so
presumably secure, could probably rebuild the whole ports tree in the
time it's taken to get something available.

I've almost always built from source since I switched to FreeBSD (I sometimes, during the initial installation, used pkgs), it's longer but more reliable.

--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL http://copyfree.org/licenses/owl/license.txt