>> I get a few questions and then this:
>>
>> -- 8< --
>> Don't worry about mistakes. I will give you the chance later to correct any input.
>> Enter username [foo]:
>> Please enter a username
>> Enter username [foo]: foo
>> Please enter a username
>> Enter username [foo]:
>> -- 8< --
>>
>> ...whatever I type in as username, the system rejects it.

> Does 'foo' match the regexp that you entered > or already had setup when you were 'answering > a few questions?'

Well, I think so This is what I did:

-- 8< --
silakka# adduser mats
Use option ``-silent'' if you don't want to see all warnings and questions.

Check /etc/shells
Check /etc/master.passwd
Check /etc/group
Usernames must match regular expression: [kypeli]: mats
Enter your default shell: bash csh date no sh tcsh [bash]:
Your default shell is: bash -> /usr/local/bin/bash
Enter your default HOME partition: [/home]:
Copy dotfiles from: /usr/share/skel no [/usr/share/skel]:
Send message from file: /etc/adduser.message no
[/etc/adduser.message]:
Use passwords (y/n) [y]:

Write your changes to /etc/adduser.conf? (y/n) [n]:

Ok, let's go.
Don't worry about mistakes. I will give you the chance later to correct any input.
Enter username [mats]:
Please enter a username
Enter username [mats]:
Please enter a username