In the last episode (Jul 03), Rich Morin said:
> None, in the file itself, but the crontab(5) man page should be tweaked.
> I have posted the following suggestion (to [EMAIL PROTECTED]):
>
>   The ``sixth'' field (the rest of the line) specifies the command to be ...
>   ---
>   In the case of /etc/crontab, another field (username) follows the time
>   and date fields.  This is normally set to root, but other names can be
>   specified; the command will be setuid(2) to the corresponding uid.
>
>   The ``final'' field (the rest of the line) specifies the command to be ...
>
> The user shouldn't be required to spot the added "who" field in the comment,
> let alone read the source code to determine that no other format changes
> have been made.  The man pages promise to (and should) describe any format
> differences.

It already does, a couple paragraphs above the stuff you quoted:

     The format of a cron command is very much the V7 standard, with a number
     of upward-compatible extensions.  Each line has five time and date
     fields, followed by a user name (with optional ``:<group>'' and
     ``/<login-class>'' suffixes) if this is the system crontab file, followed
     by a command.

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]