The cron(8) man page (on my FreeBSD 4.7 system) says:

   Cron searches /var/cron/tabs for crontab files which are named after
   accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory.  Cron
   also searches for /etc/crontab which is in a different format (see
   crontab(5)).

The crontab(5) man page, however, says nothing about any differences in
the file formats.  Instead, it appears to describe only the format that
is used in /var/cron/tabs/* files.

I would like to know precisely how the format of /etc/crontab differs,
but I can't find any man page that addresses this.  Help?

-r
--
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm    - my home page, resume, etc.