dick hoogendijk wrote:
I have ispell installed on my fbsd-48 system with american (default) and
dutch (nederlands.hash) language support.
The default is english/american, so if I want to lookup a dutch word I
have to do "ispell -d nederlands ; <word>"

This may not be the wisest installation on a dutch system (???)

Whenever I use LyX with dutch settings and babel and want to call the
spellchecker (ispell) I get an error like "can't find a file for
language NL" or something like that. It seems that at least LyX knows it
needs to work w/ dutch ;-)) I can't solve the spellchecking though.

I made a symlink from nederlands.hash to nl.hash and dutch.hash but that
did nothing good.

I'm not sure where to look: is it something in ispell or in LyX, or a
forgotten setting in FreeBSD?
Any dutch FreeBSD users here also working with LyX?

Did a google and found a page in Italion and had google translate it to english. The page says to use the enviroment variable DICTIONARY (Then after reading the ma page for ispell twice, well three times I noticed it says the same thing). So give the environment variable a try and see what happens.

HTH