Hi David,

You might want to look at the "FreeBSD-CURRENT vs. FreeBSD-STABLE" page which discusses the differences between stable and current.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html

cheers,

Torben

David Rio wrote:
Hi all:

I have been using FreeBSD in production enviroments so I used FreeBSD 4.7 and 4.8.
Now, I have installed FreeBSD 5.1 on my laptop. So I decided to keep track of the -RELEASE_5 (STABLE). But It seems that there is not such a branch on the repository.
Reading diferent links at freebsd.org. It seems that there is only to branchs for 5.1:

        -CURRENT
        -RELENG_5_1

The first one, I think can be a very agresive for my intentions. The second one,
instead, will not modify my sources to improve the performace because it is a patch branch.

If I am not wrong with this, what will be the reason to install 5.1 instead 4.8?
I mean, 5.1 has more features but a worst performace that 4.8. On the other hand,
there is no -STABLE branch of 5.1 so the only way to keep you system up to date
is follow the -CURRENT branch which is a little agresive in my case.

Thanks in advance.