On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've gotta question, which may seem very dumb for some of you, but I really
> need to know.
>
> How do I set up mail in FreeBSD that it uses an external mail-server? In my
> case I need to send the messages that will send my cron and some apps. But
> our Systemadministrator will does not allow me to use the FreeBSD with sendmail
> as server, he says that I have to use our M$ Exchange as mail server.
>
> Thank you very much in advance and sorry for the dumb question.

Put the following lines in /etc/rc.conf:

sendmail_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="YES"

FreeBSD will then run a sendmail daemon listening on the loopback
interface for mail submission only. This sendmail process will not be
visible from external hosts and will not receive any mail.

Regards

Konrad Heuer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  ____            ___  _______
Germany