John Mascardo wrote:

   I am a very-very new LINUX/UNIX user. After being convinced by friends that it is
far better and stablethan windows architechture. So I bought the LINUX Format magazine
because it offered a full OS called FREEBSD 4.8
   I tried to install it and after a few a attempts I managed to install it atlast but
when it started up it asked for a login and password.
   I must have missed something along the way because for the life of me I had no clue
what was happening on install. I searched the mag and the disc and unfortunately I
can't find any login or password detail. I tried typing different stuff but to know
avail...

PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I should do...

CLUELESS JOHN

Hello John,

When I have installed BSD I use root as the username without a password ( just hit enter when prompted for the password ). If that works for you, run passwd on the command line and give yourself a password you can remember :).

Hope this helps,
Thanatos