I apologize - I forgot to request an off-list answer - I'm not on the list. Can anyone reply - again - directly to me this time?

In addition - I hunted around quite a bit - I can't find the pam source code, there's not a pam package installed (except for pam-mysql), and there is a library in /usr/lib called libpam.a - which contains all of the pam_*.o files, and there is no pam documentation in section 8 (got plenty of section 3, though, which is worthless in the circumstances). I am starting to get the impression that who ever set up the pam interface did it with a static mentality - I feel like I'm going to have to call it Static Pluggable Authentication Modules, and I'm sick of sPAM :). Sorry for the wry humor so early in the week.

Joe

Joe Lewis wrote:

Ladies and Gents;

I've got the following problem. I installed PAM on my 5.1R version of FreeBSD. The modules are all stored in /usr/lib as /usr/lib/pam_*.so.2, with a /usr/lib/pam_*.so as a symlink to the original (from default port). I've also installed the pam_mysql.so from the port with pam_mysql-0.5 as the source.

I installed the config file for login only to prevent messing something up. When I try to login, I get an error in the /var/log/messages syslog that reads, pardon my lack of memory, that it cannot find the pam module. It is in the same place as the other modules, with the exact permissions, symlinks, and everything (the install put it in the wrong place). But I still get the error messages about not finding the module.

My question (may lead to a solution) : is the pam port linked to statically? Dynamically? (Statically would mean I now have to recompile it with some modifications, right?)

Joe