On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 05:10:47PM -0700, Micheas Herman wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 11:06, Mike Maltese wrote:
> > > It's in
> > > /usr/ports/net/samba-devel/
> > >
> > Yes, but the port hasn't been updated to the release version. You'll have to
> > modify the Makefile to fetch the current release. I've done it and it does
> > build, however I haven't installed it.
>
> Here are my changes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yes.  This looks like a solid piece of work, although since this is a
full release you should probably add some more of the samba.org
mirrors to the MASTER_SITES list -- see the net/samba Makefile for
example.  Don't drop the %SUBDIR% part either -- again, copy the
MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR stuff from the net/samba port as that's cunningly
set up to search both the /samba/ftp/ and the /samba/ftp/old-versons/
directories on the download sites.  That way the port will still
continue to work even if the Samba project suddenly releases 3.0.1,
but for whatever reason, the port can't be updated from 3.0.0
immediately.

How have you tested this update?  At a minimum you need to
run it against one or two live client machines and show that the basic
SMB file sharing capability is working.  Then you should bring your
changes to the attention of the responsible person.

The approved way to do that is described in the Porter's Handbook,
which you will find well worth a quick read.
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html)
However, basically what it says for this case is to generate a diff
using the preferred 'diff -Nur' style, and send it to the port's
maintainer, who is:

    % cd /usr/ports/net/samba-devel/
    % make -V MAINTAINER
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Since the maintainer has an @FreeBSD.org address, you can use
send-pr to send in your diff, but add the maintainer's address to the
CC: line.  If the maintainer address is external to FreeBSD.org, then
generally you would just e-mail them directly with your suggestions
and request that they put in a 'maintainer update'.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way