At 02:51 PM 11/19/2003, Feltis, Ralph C. wrote:
Is it possible to set some type of simple messaging system between networked
FreeBSD machines?  For example, client A pings client B, and then client B
sends some prespecified text reply to client A.

Ralph, it's certainly possible to setup something a bit more sophisticated using ftp and cron to store and routinely check for the presence of a file, or in an intranet situation, e.g. if Apache is installed and both boxes have http access you could use a CGI script. The details of the implementation would/should be based on the detailed need which you haven't given.

This raises a question I'm curious about which is in this scenario you could easily run into the need for semaphores. I've run into this problem running MS-DOS execs on networked windoz boxes (stop that snickering plz) and could clearly see the updates stepping on each other's toes.

What is available on fbsd by way of protecting e.g. file writes? FWIW I understand the standard flock mechanism I've used with Perl on nix servers isn't foolproof, but surely something in the system is....?

Marty Landman Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387 Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site Make a Website: http://face2interface.com/Home/Demo.shtml