At 03:58 PM 11/19/2003, Cordula's Web wrote:

Is ping not enough? An ICMP ECHO REPLY is a specific reply,
directed only to the hosts that sent the ICMP ECHO REQUEST
in the first place. It's not a prespecified _text_ reply,
but it is a reply nonetheless.

Of course, if you need more information, you need a
client/server implementation.

Ralph, my experience as a web developer and newness to system administration directs me to see this in terms of an intranet. I think installing Apache on the network server and then using a simple CGI app would provide much more flexibility for future enhancements and the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from writing apps on app software rather than on the system level.

Or something. ;)

Marty Landman Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387 Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site Make a Website: http://face2interface.com/Home/Demo.shtml