On Tuesday 25 November 2003 01:45 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > <snip>
> >
> > You have never apparently tried to type ü, ñ, á and all of the other
> > special characters that English keyboards don't produce easily.
>
> Yes, the funny thing is that the French accents work fine in many apps
> (KMail and others) but OpenOffice 1.0.1 stumbles even on the sequence
> <single quote> <space>, which supposedly should insert a single quote.
>
> Any luck anyone?  I tried OO 1.1 to see if it solves the problem
> but no luck yet with this one either (it was some weeks ago so I don't
> remember exactly what it was...) Did anyone succeed ? (binary answer
> welcome :-) )

I use the es-Spanish keyboard layout. I went to the MS site that I told you
about. The English Intl. is complicated. When I toggle from US to es, the
dead keys all come into play. The ' becomes a dead key so that the sequence
'e produces é and so on. The ; becomes the ñÑ and etc. I use that layout in
Kword and in any Spanish words I use in email. I have never used OO. In the
US Intl, the apostrophe, grave, the carrot, and double quotes are all dead
keys. The rest you have to use the <alt-gr> key. The shift is also active on
the <altp-gr>. I use the default qwerty US keyboard and toggle to es-Spanish
and I get the Spanish characters when I type into anything except kde's
konsole.

If you can't see them, let me know. I can grab the popups tomorrow and save
them on my web site. There is probably a copyright issue so I won't pass the
URL on here. It isn't a 100% because the international layouts use the funny
enter key and the shift keys are smaller. I don't know where to find those
characters. I haven't mapped them.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart