At 07:23 PM 1/4/2004, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

I'm not an expert at Apache, exactly, but I can tell that you need to be more specific about the changes you're making, and why, before anybody can help you find a way to avoid doing that.

As I understand it, Apache provides a module called suexec to allow cgi's to run as the user that owns the directory. Without suexec cgi's run as the httpd owner which is typically a 'nobody' user with highly restricted permissions. So to allow e.g. mypgm.cgi default permission to write to a file in /mnt/web/guide/guido (user Guido's root) with a chmod of 644 Apache must be recompiled with suexec enabled. I failed at my attempt to do this and didn't want to keep plugging away so have just chmod'd my (local intranet) root directories to 777. It's a lousy kluge but it does permit me to keep working.

A lot of workarounds tend to be just as much of a security concern as suexec is itself.

Not sure security's an issue on my intranet, but inevitably working improperly will lead to improper results and security issues on the production server.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site