Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
Rob wrote:

My parents have an internet provider, that uses the TV-cable and connects through the USB port. The provider only has M$-Window$ software provided, and this works now with a single computer.

I want to replace this M$-Window$ computer by a FreeBSD router,
to start a home network.

I am at a loss what to do with the USB internet connection?

I know how to get a router set up with RJ-45 cables and two
ethernet cards. But can FreeBSD handle a USB internet connection?

Hints how to deal with this, are highly appreciated.

What is the device? There are at least four in the 5.X GENERIC kernel:

It's a "Eminent 10/100 MBps USB network adaptor", provided by ISP. This is a small 'mouse-sized' box which has a RJ45 cable and jack at one end, and the USB-cable at the other. It connects a modem (RJ45 plug) with the USB port of the computer.

I have never used USB before, so I don't know what device this
represents. Any ideas?

I actually wonder, whether I should put a LAN card in the FreeBSD
system and connect that directly with the modem via a RJ45 cable,
and leave the USB adaptor out of the story. But would that work?

Thanks,
Rob.