On May 12, 2004, at 5:09 PM, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

On May 12, 2004, at 3:37 PM, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

Hi

This is on 5.2-CURRENT

I want to apply devfs rules to a jails /dev. I am starting my jails manually and not through rc.conf (directly -- I have written my own rc script to start my jails since I have a bunch of file system stuff like mounting some localhost nfs and some md device mounts to do as part of the launch).

I noticed that /etc/defaults/devfs.rules has a default set of rules that one might use with a jail, so I am starting there. It appears that this is ruleset 4

Since I am running my stuff inside an rc.d style script, and I noticed a bunch of devfs related routines in /etc/rc.subr I tried the following

devfs_rulesets_from_file /etc/defaults/devfs.rules
devfs_domount /jail/host/dev devfsrules_jail

in my script.

I do not know if this is exactly correct but the following did work for me (anything less would not seem to apply the devfs rules)

devfs_rulesets_from_file /etc/defaults/devfs.rules
devfs_domount /jails/host/dev devfsrules_jail
devfs_set_ruleset devfsrules_jail /jails/host/dev
/sbin/devfs -m /jails/host/dev rule -s 4 applyset

thanks best Chad