hugle wrote:

FG> On Mon, 31 May 2004, hugle wrote:

dammit..
why then my users eats so much CPU?
look:
CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.8% system, 38.0% interrupt, 61.2% idle
Mem: 21M Active, 177M Inact, 133M Wired, 1228K Cache, 199M Buf, 1677M Free

I have only 61% idle ?
usualy i have ~50 idle..
now I have P4 2.4GHZ

maybe my setup is bad (kernel I mean)?

FG> My guess is either cheap hardware (NIC) or bad tuning. What NICs are you FG> using?

I'm using Intel cards (fxp) at the moment. But from reading the posts
I've decided to buy GBIT NIC.
Now the dilema is what brand name.. INTEL or 3COM ? maybe you guys
could advice?

BM> I've always had good results with fxp cards.

how much users do you have? and what model?

Never more than 100 ... it's been a year or two, so I don't remember the model.

And yes, my PC is dealing with lots of network traffic.. It's a
gateway + shaping. It deals with almost 1000 users..

Will this PC (p4 2.4GHZ) deal with 10mbit internet? as a gateway +
shaper ? with one GBIT NIC connected to 100Mbit swith?

BM> A gbit NIC isn't going to run at gbit speed on a 100mbit switch.

I know, but as I know it'll have more memory, buffer or smth like
that. which somehow will help to deal with the problem, right?

Probably. It just seems like a lot of $$$ to drop when you haven't tried polling yet. Keep in mind, that if you try polling and it doesn't work, you can just turn it back off, and you haven't spent any $$$ on hardware that didn't help.

BM> I would look elsewhere than the NIC.  Intel NICs are good units (in my experience,
BM> if someone knows of problems with them, please speak up)
from systam -v:
481 fxp0 irq12
226 fxp1 irq3
317 fxp2 irq7
I think it is quite high? right?

I guess. I would expect numbers like that considering the load it's under.

I'll ask _again_ ... is the machine's performance poor?  Fact is, if
you give it enough network traffic to shape, it's going to raise the
CPU load, no matter what you do.

I guess, if you absolutely want to come up with a reason to buy new
hardware, this is as good a reason as any.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies