Damon Butler wrote:

Sound functions under FreeBSD only if I boot into Linux first and then reboot the machine into FreeBSD. This sounds rather incredible (to me at least) but here's what I've done to confirm this.

Initialisation :)

Your soundcard needs initialising before it'll function in some way that linux understands and FreeBSD does not, once linux has done the dirty the card is then alive and kicking.

I have a similar issue with my wifi card and FreeBSD/Win2k dual booting, when i boot into bsd from cold all is well, if i boot into windows first and then go back to freebsd without a shutdown the cards isnt there, windows does something to my cardbus controler that stops it initialising properly under bsd, good thing i only boot win2k for ghosting :)