Is my problem indicative of a general driver deficiency in FreeBSD?
Is there some module I'm not aware of that, were I to load it, take care of this mysterious "initialization" ?

No, this looks like a device specific quirk, like how the 3com 905c will always try and share irq's with my soundcard in my home machine regardless of anything i do yet in other machines it behaves itself :)

With the sheer amount of hardware and variations on hardware available these things are to be occasionaly expected :)

Drat. A disappointing answer, to be sure.... :-( A thousand thanks for your explanations, however. :-)

--Damon