On Jul 10, 2004, at 17:33, Jerry McAllister wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:09:13 -0400, Bob Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,
I remember reading in The Complete FreeBSD, by Greg Lehey, that you'll
be better off with an ISP that runs FreeBSD or BSD/OS. Can anyone
provide a scenario(s) where this would be most apparent?

I don't know Greg's reasoning for that statement but it does seem
rather wrong to me. Would you judge a waitress on their choice of
shoes? Of course not, you'd
judge them based on their service. Would you decide on who to hire to build you
a fence based on what kind of screwdriver they use?

Why would you choose an ISP based on what tool they use to provide you with a
service?

Well, first it reflects on their judgement. If they run on FreeBSD, I give them credit for better jedgement. Secondly, if you have problems or questions, you are more likely to get an intelligent answer if they run one of the BSDs. If they run MS, they are more likely to just say they don't support anything different when you ask.

In an ISP of any size, the CS reps will be almost totally divorced from the infrastructure team. What OS' they support for customers has very little to do with what they run on the backside.

KeS