Eric Crist wrote:
On Saturday 17 July 2004 03:17, Peter Risdon wrote:

Cups installs /usr/local/bin/lp and /usr/local/bin/lpr and leaves
/usr/bin/lp and /usr/bin/lpr in place. Back these up, symlink the cups
versions into their places and try again.

If you want to verify you have a properly running Cups before you do
this, use the web interface (http://localhost:631) to print a test page.
It ought to work.

HTH

Peter.

Hey Peter,

I tried the web interface, and that's what's not printing test pages. Do I need to move these execs before I try to print a test page?

Not so good - I generally find this works even when the /usr/bin binaries are still there.

Also, CUPS seems to have munged up my other printer installations pretty badly, and I don't know what to do to get them back.

Probably because it overwrites /etc/printcap

I guess I'd rather get
CUPS working right anyways.

Have you tried testing cups by using the cups binaries on the command line specifying the full path?

#/usr/local/bin/lpr /etc/hosts

should print. If it doesn't, you might get a useful error message.

Peter.

Thanks!