Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
At Sat, 17 Jul 2004 it looks like Peter Risdon composed:

Cups installs /usr/local/bin/lp and /usr/local/bin/lpr and leaves
/usr/bin/lp and /usr/bin/lpr in place. Back these up, symlink the cups
versions into their places and try again.

If I'm not mistaken, cups does install "lpr" and "lprm" and "lpq" ..... but
I believe they have the following names

        lpr.cups
        lprm.cups
        lpq.cups

Not on my system:

#pkg_info | grep cups
cups-base-1.1.20.0 The Common UNIX Printing System: headers, libs, & daemons
cups-lpr-1.1.20.0 The CUPS BSD and system V compatibility binaries (lp* comma
cups-pstoraster-7.07_1 GNU Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to non-PS prin

and

#ls /usr/local/bin/lp*
/usr/local/bin/lp /usr/local/bin/lpq /usr/local/bin/lprsetup.sh
/usr/local/bin/lpoptions /usr/local/bin/lpr /usr/local/bin/lpstat
/usr/local/bin/lppasswd /usr/local/bin/lprm /usr/local/bin/lpunlock

I haven't renamed any of these.

In the past I've renamed the original files that were there already:

        mv lpr lpr-ORIG
        mv lprm lprm-ORIG
        mv lpq lpq-ORIG

Then I create the symlinks so any programs "looking" for the original
names, and alot do, find the cups version through the re-direction that
occurs via symlinks.

        ln -s lpr.cups lpr
        ln -s lprm.cups lprm
        ln -s lpq.cups lpq

Of course this is done "inside" the directory where the files reside.

--
Bill Schoolcraft
PO Box 210076                 -o)

http://billschoolcraft.com