On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 11:09:34PM -0500, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> DK wrote:

> >If it helps, the only thing I can think of is whether the system loaded
> >the correct Graphics Card
> >??
> >- BUT I don't know how to check this ?? - Cannot find a Display Properties
> >like windows that lists
> >the Graphics Card ??

> KDE, and any other wm/environment, runs on top of XFree86.  XFree86 reads
> from configuration files ... mine is /etc/X11/XF868Config.  Like I said
> above, you
> need to read up a bit before you get it going.

The XF86Config file is actually not going to be amazingly helpful.
Nowadays X Windows essentially configures itself completely
automatically -- you can often run it successfully *without* any
XF86Config file -- and the XF86Config just serves to override various
default choices.  When X autoconfigures it will choose the graphics
mode that gives the largest possible screen resolution it knows your
monitor and card will support (but not necessarily the greatest colour
depth).  However, if your monitor doesn't provide the X server with
the horizontal and vertical frequency information it needs, it will
choose a conservative low resolution setup that any monitor should be
able to cope with.

To see exactly what settings are being used run:

    % xdpyinfo | less

Scroll down until you find the section marked 'screen #0' where it
tells you the display size and colour depth.  Most of the rest of the
information that command prints out is unlikely to be interesting to
you.

To see exactly what X Windows recognises your graphincs hardware as,
you need to look into the log file: /var/log/XFree86.0.log Again,
that's much more information than what you need, but if you scan
through the file you should see an entry like:

    (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) nVidia Corporation NV15 [GeForce2 GTS/Pro] rev 164, Mem @
0xee000000/24, 0xf0000000/27, BIOS @ 0xefff0000/16

although the details will be different from system to system.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way