August,

I've been following this thread today. It's very interesting. It appears
to me, you mentioned your mistake in your first post.
 "did a mergemaster and didn't accept any changes (it was a fresh
 system) rebooted and logged in"
Without accepting those changes, you kept what you had. It wasn't a
fresh system and needed the information from mergemaster. If you didn't
clear out /usr/obj, it might be possible to rerun mergemaster and
accept the changes. I would keep MYCUSTOM somewhere other
than /root/kernels. Personally, I use /home/save4rebuild, and keep a
copy of everything else I think I might need. I've had to
reinstall /, /var, /tmp, /usr, but I always manage to keep /home safe.

Don