Aloha Vaughan,

Vaughan Moore wrote:

>I'm a complete newbie and I'm trying to set up X server on a Toshiba
>Satellite pro 4620dvd laptop.  Everytime I run through xf86cfg or
>xf86cfg -textmode I get the error message "The XFree86 configuration process
>seems to have failed.  Would you like to try again?"  Obviously, this is a
>bit frustrating.

Did you mean a 4260dvd?  I cannot find anything on a 4620dvd.

If you had a slight case of dyslexia or maybe a little fat fingering, :o) I may
be of some help. I have FreeBSD 5.3Beta1 loaded on a HP Pavillion N5310.

I checked the specs on the Toshiba Pro 4260dvd (attached pdf) and it has the
same video driver as my HP. i.e. s3 Savage IX.

So, FWIW, Here are the important bits from my xorg.conf

Section "Monitor"
        HorizSync       31.5 - 80
        VertRefresh     55 - 61

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Card0"
        Driver          "savage"
        VendorName      "S3 Inc."
        BoardName       "86c270-294 Savage/IX-MV"
        BusID           "PCI:1:1:0"

Section "Screen"
        DefaultDepth    24

        SubSection      "Display"
                Viewport        0 0
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1024x768"      "800x600"

I really hope this helps. At one time I had either Lindows (Linspire) or SuSE
loaded on this computer. That is where I found the horizontal and vertical data.

Plagarize whenever you can!

You might also try pciconf -lv to see if your board name and bus id are correct.

Best of luck

Robert