Now here's the frustrating bit. Time has passed and the machine has been shut down and rebooted a few times. After that initial success, I have never been able to mount that [EMAIL PROTECTED] drive again. I invariably get a

   Operation not permitted

error. What gives? How can I retrieve my former happiness?
--Damon

this is the default error spewed out when the linux file system is not clean. (I.E. it was not unmounted properly on the shutdown where it ceased working)

This is the problem! Thank you! As soon as I rebuilt the journal (it's actually an ext3 filesystem) I could mount the drive again.

Happiness is a mounted hard drive.
--Damon