On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 07:02:08PM -0600, Kirk Strauser said:
> On Monday 06 December 2004 06:37 pm, Adam Smith wrote:
> > I've used Konqueror many times before to connect from abroad to my machine
> > at home using fish://.
>
> This isn't answering your question, but:
>
> Why would you be using fish:// instead of sftp://?  Think of fish as a
> workaround for systems where you have SSH access but there is no SFTP server
> running.  This is not true on (even halfway recent) FreeBSD systems where
> SFTP is enabled by default.

Because it's easier than enabling SFTP on a number of hosts :)

I have found in playing around that *sometimes* it works and *sometimes* it
doesn't.  I have used debug mode for sshd on my broken box and fish://
passes the username correctly, but still gets an auth fail.  Strange.
Works in other places.

Unfortunately I don't have any conclusive results leading me to a logical
and replicable problem, but I still might report it as a bug.

> Anyway, if you're dead set on using it, see if you can enabled verbose
> logging
> either on the client or the server.  Fish works by ssh'ing to a shell on your
> system and running cd, ls, cat, and so on to get directory listings and the
> contents of files.  If there is a problem with one of these commands, then
> there you go.

And that's why I like fish -- cos it doesn't need anything special running
to connect to a remote host! :)

--
Adam Smith
Internode       : http://www.internode.on.net