On 02/02/05 05:02 PM, Chuck Swiger sat at the `puter and typed:
> Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> > On 02/02/05 06:58 PM, Gert Cuykens sat at the `puter and typed:
> >> i want a screensaver but the ....... xscreensaver daemon wont start
> >> complaining about acces controle. I did xhost +localhost but it still
> >> wont start :(
> >
> > If you're trying this on 5.3, the syntax has changed.  Try something
> > like this:
> >
> > xhost local:
> >
> > Exactly as typed above.
>
> Please tell me you are joking.
>
> I remember learning to use "xhost +" in 1989 or '90 on X11--, before the
> command improved to take hostnames as arguments to control which connections
> were allowed and which should be refused on a per-host basis.  At the time,
> there were so few machines running X that malicious X connections were not a
> significant concern.
>
> Having "xhost +localhost" work the same way as "xhost +foo.cmu.edu"-- to
> avoid
> treating the local host as a special case-- was a good idea fifteen years ago.
>
> I do not have a perfect record of suggesting things in a way that does not
> break backwards compatibility, but one should attempt to make the distinction
> between "changing something which was broken in order to get to something
> reasonable" and "changing something reasonable into something broken".

Don't shoot the messenger! :)

I was pretty confused by it too, especially since I do LOTS of display
jumping.  After failing some of this jumping, I finally typed the
command at the prompt and got a strange response.  So I read the
manpage.  It's all there.  I couldn't say why, but I had too many other
fish to fry to bother saying anything then.

It's probably not the only deprecation or interface change from 4.x.  I
believe the 'nslookup' tool is now a wrapper to the 'host' utility, but
I never used either one in complex enough ways to see any
incompatibility.  I can't quite remember, but I have the feeling there
was another gotcha I had to get used to going to 5.x.

Oh well, I still like 5.3 better for some reason.  Maybe it's just the
awesome machine I've got it running on though . . .

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Kent's Heuristic:
  Look for it first where you'd most like to find it.